I’m playing The Classics Club Spin!
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you have left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday 2/18.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by April 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading!
Books I’m excited to read for the first time:
1. Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There – Lewis Carroll
2. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
3. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
4. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
5. The Purloined Letter – Edgar Allen Poe
Books I’m excited to revisit:
6. Animal Farm – George Orwell
7. 1984 – George Orwell
8. Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
9. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Lewis Stevenson
10. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
Books I’m dreading (aka, those I had to read in school and disliked):
11. The Awakening – Kate Chopin
12. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
13. A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
14. The Catcher in the Rye – J. D. Salinger
15. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
Books I’m neutral about:
16. Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
17. The Portrait of a Lady – Henry James
18. The Brothers Karamzov – Fyodor Dostoevsky
19. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
20. Middlemarch – George Eliot
I’m really hoping the number is 3, 6, 8, 9, or 10. I really hope it’s NOT 12 or 13 (a Dickens fan I am not).
Are you playing? Tell me in the comments what you hope the number is—and what you hope it isn’t!